Vietnam is one of the top-rated countries to visit, known for its alluring beauty of natural wonders, rich culture, and warm hospitality. Along the S-shaped country, you will find thousands of breathtaking landscapes that are hard to come by anywhere else on Earth.
Believe me, you will find everything worth standing in awe before the magnificent waterfalls and stunning bays; the majestic and dramatic mountains; dreamlike beaches with smooth white sands stretching endlessly.
The allure of Vietnam also lies in its nutritious and healthy cuisine. And this country is definitely worth visiting more than once for all the beauty it offers, from nature, culture, cuisine, to its people. However, how to travel to Vietnam from India in 2023? Well, here is the answer.
How to Apply for a Vietnam Visa for Indian Tourists?
Yes, Indian tourists need to apply for a visa before traveling to Vietnam. That is why obtaining a visa is the first step you need to take to answer the question: How to get to Vietnam from India? Specifically, there are two ways you can try to apply for a Vietnam visa: the traditional method (via documents) and the online visa. Let’s see!
The first and conventional way to apply for a Vietnam visa is to submit documents to the Embassy of Vietnam (in New Delhi) or the Consulate General of Vietnam (in Mumbai) and wait for approval.
You will need to prepare:
- Original passport with a minimum validity of 6 months;
- Completed application form;
- Passport-sized photos (taken within the last 6 months);
- Visa fee.
This process is straightforward and usually takes 3-5 working days. Here is the contact information:
Embassy of Vietnam in New Delhi
- Address: 17, Kautilya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, 110 021, India
- Tel: +91-11-301-8059
- Fax: +91-11-2301 9818
- Email: [email protected]
Consulate General of Vietnam in Mumbai
- Address: Wajeda House, Gulmohar Cross Road No.7, Juhu Scheme, Mumbai, 400 049, India
- Tel: +91-22-2620-8589
- Fax: +91-22-2624-8538
- Email: [email protected]
This is an incredibly easy way for you to obtain a Vietnam visa. You can do this effortlessly by following the instructions below:
- Fill out the Vietnam visa application form from India.
- Confirm and pay the visa fee online.
- Receive the approval letter via email.
- Get your visa stamped at the airport.
Online visas are quite popular nowadays due to their convenience and ease of use. They save a significant amount of time and effort compared to traditional methods.
Furthermore, there is a service called Visa on Arrival that we recommend. You can easily obtain your visa at Vietnam’s international airports in Hanoi, Da Nang, Nha Trang, and Ho Chi Minh City.
Ways to Reach Vietnam from India
As Vietnam is situated in the Eastern part of the Indochina Peninsula, it is easily accessible by both air and sea routes. You can also visit this country by air from neighboring countries like Cambodia or Laos. Here’s how!
Traveling By Air
– From Kolkata with IndiGo Airlines
- Starting from October 3, 2019, IndiGo has introduced direct flights from Kolkata to Hanoi, making the journey from Kolkata to Vietnam more convenient than ever before.
- Now, you don’t have to endure long layovers in other countries. With these direct flights, traveling from Kolkata to Vietnam is a seamless experience.
– From Delhi with Vietjet Air
- Not only has IndiGo launched direct flights from India to Vietnam, but recently, Vietjet Air has also inaugurated direct flights from Delhi to Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
- With these new direct routes, passengers from India can fly to Vietnam without any layovers. This helps Indian passport holders save time and costs when visiting the paradise of Vietnam.
- Starting from December 6, 2019, Vietjet operates 4 round-trip flights between Ho Chi Minh City and Delhi every week on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays with a flight time of approximately 5 hours.
- The Hanoi – New Delhi route is also inaugurated on December 7, 2019, with a frequency of 3 flights per week on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, using new aircraft and convenient services.
- Moreover, from April 2020, Vietjet Air plans to operate direct flights from Delhi to both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City throughout the day.
Traveling By Sea
As mentioned earlier, you can easily reach Vietnam by sea thanks to its perfect geographical location. You can travel to Vietnam by sea using ferries or cruises departing from Cambodia along the Mekong Delta.
Well, I think this type of travel would be a fantastic choice for those who love the vibrant riverine lifestyle unique to the Mekong Delta countries. The journey takes approximately 7-8 hours with estimated costs ranging from $45 to $100 USD, depending on whether you choose a ferry or a cruise.
Traveling By Land
With a coastal border, Vietnam can only be accessed from Laos and Cambodia. You can travel to one of these two countries and take a bus across their borders. However, we recommend traveling from Cambodia as it is much easier.
The trip will last for 12 hours or more, depending on your traveling speed. The standard fee for a bus journey will be up to $28 USD, and along the way, you will enjoy fascinating scenery.
Advice for Traveling to Vietnam from India
The most important thing is to prepare thoroughly before coming to Vietnam, not just with visas and transportation. Make sure you know where you are going, what food you will eat, and the places you will visit.
Don’t worry, I am here to help you plan your trip.
Vietnam must-visit places
With thousands of years of history and culture, Hanoi, the capital, encapsulates much of what Vietnam looks like. You will immerse yourself in rich historical and cultural artifacts, buildings, and houses in the Old Quarter. Every corner, every tree, every house hides a cultural and historical story.
Tourists from all over the world visit Hanoi almost all the time, but if you want my advice, it’s best to come here in the fall and winter.
Opening your eyes to the vast sky embracing the majestic mountain ranges will leave you in awe. Sapa is undoubtedly the best destination for you to enjoy the graceful and tranquil beauty of nature blending with the pure and peculiar emotions of the ethnic people here.
You can also climb to the rooftop of Indochina – Fansipan Peak. You can choose a cable car tour or book a 3-day trekking trip to reach the summit. I assure you this is totally worth trying.
Visiting Vietnam without a stop at this iconic destination would be a big regret. Ha Long Bay is renowned as one of the most pristine world heritages. With hundreds of karst formations taking shapes (imagined in fairy tales) and small islets rising from the turquoise waters, your Vietnam beach vacation will be extremely rewarding.
This province is the homeland of thousands of caves formed inside the limestone mountains billions of years ago. It’s no lie if someone tells you, “Come here, and your life will shine.” It’s a land of fairy tales with magical stalactites and legendary stories.
Phong Nha–Ke Bang, Son Doong, Thien Duong Cave, etc are just a few names among dozens of must-visit places here. And you will find that my words are not deceiving at all.
What to Eat in Vietnam
Vietnam will never let you go hungry, as you can always find delicious food all over the country. Vietnamese cuisine will leave you with a refreshing taste in ingredients, balanced flavors, and vibrant presentation – all summed up in one word: Amazing!
The most famous dishes include Pho, Banh Mi, Bun Bo Hue, Banh Xeo, Goi Cuon, etc. In each city, each province of Vietnam, there are many unique dishes that you must try.
Well, I guess that’s almost everything you need to prepare for your next trip to Vietnam. Get your visa (online or offline), decide how to get to Vietnam from India in 2023, then list the special places to visit and delicious dishes to try there – then I guess you can enjoy your trip.
Share to save this blog right now, and comment here if anything comes up. I’m always ready to answer your questions!